Pompeii, Herculaneum and Vesuvius
Are you ready for this adventure with Simply Amalfi?
We’ve designed this tour for archeology and volcano enthusiasts, giving you the chance to visit some of the most important sites in the world.
Based on your interests, you can choose between Pompeii, Herculaneum and Vesuvius for a dip in one of the most fascinating chapters of humans history.
You can trust us and our decades of experience to fine tune your tour based on our suggestions and your needs and desires so that you will have an unforgettable experience.
- Suggested pick up time: 08.30 am
- Duration: approximately 8 hours
- Departing from: Amalfi Coast area – Naples city center, train station, port or airport
- Discovering Pompeii, you will have 2 hours to visit this 2,000 year old Roman city which was all but annihilated in 79 AD when Vesuvius unexpectedly blew its top, covering the city and most of its inhabitants in 8 meters of ash and rubble. Here you are able to walk the streets of this town frozen in time where the temples, baths, villas, gardens and brothels from 2 centuries ago are still standing.
- Herculaneum – a smaller but wealthier town than Pompeii. Herculaneum was not buried in the hot ashes as was Pompeii. Instead, it was engulfed by molten rock, hot mud and pyroclastic flows which allowed fragile materials like wood and fabric to survive. These items can still be seen, which gives you another perspective onto the idea of how its residents lived.
- Vesuvius, the most dangerous active volcano on the European continent. Your driver will take you tothe trailhead where you can start your ascent to the top which can take anywhere from 20 minutes walking at a good clip or 40 minutes at a more leisurely pace. Once on top you will have a chance to gaze down into the still smoking crater, to take in the spectacular views of Naples and the Mediterranean below, and to ponder on the cataclysmic event of 79 AD that created the reality you saw earlier at Pompeii.
PLEASE NOTE: We highly recommend a private guide for the visit of Pompeii and/or Herculaneum because you get so much more out of the experience seeing the sites with someone who can explain why they are so important.
NOTE: Nothing is etched in stone, so you can mix and match aspects of different tours if you like.
We will happy to meet your needs and satisfy your request.
About the tour...
Deals & Discount 2024
Combining this tour with the booking of other services with us (for example the arrival/return transfer from your accommodation), we’d be happy to do a discount on the total amount.